Monday, June 7, 2010

Today's question: Can appearing on ABDC be BAD for a dance group?

We learned yesterday -- in the comments for our post on Fr3sh's performance at World of Dance NY -- that Fr3sh will cease performing together later this month.Their last public appearance will be at Sock Hop 3 in San Francisco June 19. This saddens me because I have greatly enjoyed EVERY one of the many times  I've seen them at events, competitions, ABDC auditions, and on TV. Their breakup will be a loss for hip hop dance everywhere and particularly on the East Coast. 

My question: Can appearing on America's Best Dance Crew be BAD for a dance crew? While it's a great honor to be picked for the show, can an unsuccessful appearance limit the crew's long-term career and leave them unhappy? I personally believe Fr3sh went home way too soon, and that their brief appearance may have created a  limited and incorrect view of the group's skills and style that dogged them post-ABDC. I know that Fr3sh has always spoken positively about their ABDC experience, but personally I would have been bothered if I was in a crew that felt it was sent home extremely prematurely. There are other crews with similar records, but I think (from the many times that I've seen them perform) that Fr3sh was hurt more than most.

What do you think? Am I just over-reacting to the group's breakup, or can appearing on a competitive reality show be dangerous to the health of one's career and dreams?