Saturday, June 20, 2009

Highlights from the NY ABDC auditions: NIA

Over the next several weeks, I'll post videos of my personal favorite crews from the America's Best Dance Crew Season 4 Auditions in New York. For some of these NY crews, I will post both their auditions and their choreography callback performances, but only when I like the callback performances as much as the initial audition. Important warning and disclaimer: I am NOT a judge and have absolutely NO impact on the judges or MTV. My only qualification is being a huge fan of the show.

Today's featured crew: NIA from Roxbury, MA. They incorporate African influences into their style in a fresh way that fits with hip hop and is not at all gimmicky. I love their overall performances and their energy. The first part seconds of their routine didn't tape due to camera problems, and was also really dynamic and fun to watch. To learn more about NIA, you can visit their Myspace account. UPDATE: Here's a link to the Semitoastysushi video of their audition, which contains the full audition routine.