Thursday, May 21, 2009

Quest's Victor Kim interview: Jerry Maguire got me into dancing, life after ABDC & more!

Victor Kim posted the following interview on his Facebook page: When and how did you first get into dancing? i first got into bboying after i saw a jerry maguire commercial. cuba gooding jr did a swipe to 1990 on the football field and right then and there, i knew it was for me. i was a freshman in high school in my hometown of sacramento, and i started in my living room.

What is it about dancing that has kept you interested and dedicated till this day? dancing has really changed the way i look at life. the simple concept of manifesting a thought into reality is so fascinating to me, and that is what dance is all about. for example, if i wanted to create a combination of moves, i would first have to see it in my mind. then i would have to physically condition my body through practice and repetition to actualize the desired outcome. now, you begin to see something that was just a thought become reality. im learning that you can apply this concept to not only dance, but anything you want to achieve in life. and that is what has kept me interested in dance.

What was your dancing life like before ABDC?
before the show, i always wished for an opportunity like ABDC. so i suppose i was preparing.

As winner of the third season, how has America's Best Dance Crew affected your dancing life? What is your dancing life like now after ABDC?
after being on ABDC, there are a lot more opportunities to share what i love to do with a wider audience, and also make a living. its been amazing being able to travel with my friends and perform all over the country, and that is definitely something that i dreamed about before the show. but one of my favorite parts is getting to meet people who believe in us, and have supported us on and off the show :)

After gaining popularity from America's Best Dance Crew, how would you describe your influence over younger aspiring dancers?
its such a foreign thought to entertain that i even have influence over another dancer, but i would definitely say that it keeps me motivated. i see in them the hunger and passion that i had all those long nights in the garage when i would stay up to practice. its extremely encouraging to see people that have been inspired, and it makes me feel like i am doing something right !

Photcredit: MTV