Saturday, August 8, 2009
- Shane Sparks tells HipHopDX."Just when I think I can't be surprised by anything in the dance game, I come to the first episode of ABDC [season 4] and get my mind blown." He talks further about Rhythm City, We Are Heroes compared to Beat Freaks, and Massive Monkees.
- On August 15, Mike Song from Kaba Modern will teach a workshop at Marvelous Motion Studio in Houston. This is already almost sold out, so act now!
Friday, August 7, 2009
- Creativity - signature moves original to the crew, including ways to go to the floor, get up from the floor, and transitions
- Staging, spacing, formations, and level changes - using a full range of unique, complicated, and challenging formations, interactive partner moves and patterns. This includes high/mid/low movements, using arms, ands, feet, torso, and head with creative and unpredictable transitions'
- Showmanship, intensity, confidence, projection and pauses - minimal pauses and poses, uninterrupted display of confidence in facial expression and body movement, passion and an ability to 'sell it' on stage
- Entertainment value/crowd appeal - connecting to the audience and evoking emotional responses, to leave a memorable and lasting impression
- Musicality - performance and choreography corresponding to timing and music usage; the crew's ability to perform simultaneously to the music (either through the beat or through rhythmic variations/syncopation).
- Synchronization/timing - range of movement, speed, timing and execution are all in sync
- Execution/controlled mobility and stabilization - maintaining control of speed, direction, momentum and body placement
- Difficulty of execution - levels of ability, variety of styles
At HHI, all these (plus 2 factors not relevant to ABDC) were given equal weight in the scoring. I attended the full training session so I'll try to elaborate on these criteria, if desired.
- According to various Twitter reports, Quest will be performing with Sean Kingston at the Teen Choice Awards to be broadcast Monday August 10 on Fox.
- Fly Khick Karelix has made it to the final round in the 'hottest heat dancer' in the Miami Heat competition. Click here to vote for her and show your support!
- ABDC host Mario Lopez helped Baskin Robbins achieve the Guinness World Record for Largest Cheerleader Dance. Watch it here on ExtraTV.
- Las Vegas Weekly has an indepth article on the Hip Hop International Competition
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Ryan: "Definitely a highlight of the night was getting to see Sweet & Sour and members of Quest perform. The stage director..asked Victor to come warm up the crowd before the show started and it was INCREDIBLE seeing him in person. It was nuts seeing him do the hollowback and being able to see the veins in his wrists as he extends out!!! Rino then joined him on stage and they started top rocking in sync together, sooo cool. Eventually Steve, Hok, and Shorty came on stage and freestyled too. When Hok went into some finger tutting the crowd went berserk. It was all just so exciting. During some of the editing breaks members of the crowd started freestyling, drawing the attention of the whole studio. After one guy would go, someone else from another bleacher would go, almost as if they were battling...Overall a really exciting and surreal night."
Lenny: "OMG!!..It was AMAZING! After the show, it really made me think about what I said when I saw the auditions [on tape]. I have said that this season would suck because we're seeing styles we're not used to, but trust me, GIVE THESE CREWS A CHANCE! Watching the show yesterday gave me a slap in the face and made me stop judging crews before the show even starts. For the people who are waiting till Sunday...be surprised!"
TimetoFlytotheCheese: "going into the stage of the taping, I was pretty sure I was gonna be disappointed... After the first three crews performed, I was shocked when one crew stepped it up from the auditions. After the second group went up I was thinking to myself maybe this season will be better than I had originally thought it to be. Then the last group performed ...AMAZING. Then I realized this has the potential to be just as good, if not better than some of the other seasons....About the elimination however I was shocked and was not expecting it...I even asked Shane Sparks after the show if he agreed with the elimination and he said "Yes. So I'm pretty sure they saw something I didn't see."
Click here to read more from Roxanne, kyky, and ME (including the strategy to get front row seats!)
Here again is their audition video:
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
According to MTV Remote Control, the songs for Episode 1 of America's Best Dance Crew 4 were chosen by each crew to best showcase their abilities. The choices were:
FR3SH "Ante Up" by M.O.P.
RHYTHM CITY "Life of a Star" by Mims
BEAT YA FEET KINGS "Skillet" by Backyard Band
AFROBORIKE "Aguanile" by Marc Anthony
ARTISTRY IN MOTION "SFM" by Basement Jaxx
VOGUE EVOLUTION "Took the Night" by Chelley
WE ARE HEROES "Waters of Nazareth" by Justice
SOUTHERN MOVEMENT "Sideways" by Dierks Bentley
MASSIVE MONKEES "Kill Joy" by N.E.R.D.
From TimetoFlytheCheese: "Yooo, all I gotta say is that, you think you know who's going home, but you REALLY don't!! Get ready for some underdog action, crazy moves, and shocking results. And it was bottom 3, not bottom 2... All 9 crews are HOT (for the most part)...Everyone did AMAZING and Quest was there, as were Beat Freaks, and Sweet and Sour [a crew from New Zealand].
From Ryan: "I was at the taping, and all I can say is that I wasn't surprised or disappointed with the judges decision. Even though some mediocre crews got a pass, all of the crews in the bottom 3 deserved to be there for their own reason. All of them ripped the sudden death performance though, and I'm sure it was a tough choice to make...Be prepared to eat some of your words when the show airs...5 of the 9 crews got a standing O from the crowd: I was really surprised to find myself on my feet for certain crews...Still though, only one crew emerged as the episode's "winner". They literally crushed everyone else, set the crowd off at several points during the performance, and got unanimous praise from the judges. As long as they're around, they will keep us purists happy with ABDC 4."
If you also attended the taping, we'd love to hear about your experience too. BUT PLEASE KEEP IT SPOILER FREE!!
Click here for their Facebook page.You can also access their MySpace page, and they are now building their website: southernmovementdance.com.
Click here to watch their audition video .
A reporter who attended the Chicago auditions emailed me about Southern Movement: "This is their second season around auditioning. They came with a full seven-person team, incorporating the typical country line dancing with finger tutting and some really eye popping choreography..very different. I believe something America would love to see." This photo was taken outside the Chicago auditions for ABDC4 by Fatality, featuring Southern Movement (in plaid) and Xicution (in blue). Thanks Qasim!
- On Dance Universe , Lindsay writes and shares photos about judging dance competitions and watching master classes taught by Quest's Dtrix, and ABDC choreographers Napoleon and Tabitha D'umo
- On July 3, Kaba Modern members Yuri Tag, Mike Son, and Lawrence Kao were guest judges at SEAQUENCE 2009, a dance competition to raise funds to troubled teens and families in Ensenada, Mexico. Go to SEAQUENCE2009.com buy the DVD for the event -- 100% of the sales will go to these needy people
- The Insider Dance Blog interviewd Fanny Pak member Phil Collins, talking about who's the funniest crew member, how they fight constantly, upcoming plans, their friends from America's Best Dance Crew, and much more
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
The article notes that "Idol rules state that the producers reserve the right to throw out votes if technical enhancements are being used to generate significant blocks. But they refuse to say how many votes — or whether any — have been disqualified." The article does not specifically mention America's Best Dance Crew, but the same issues can apply. So, is this something that ABDC producers should address for Season 4?
They performed last week at the Hip Hop International USA Finals, where they received the highest score of any crew for technique. Also, one of their original crew members -- Marie Poppins -- won the HHI World Popping Competition. Unfortunately, she can't appear with her crew on ABDC due to visa issues.
"DISCLAIMER: I love ABDC, I respect MTV, I respect all the choices they made, and I like all the crews that have been on the show, no matter.
On August 2nd, exactly a week before the start of season 4 of America's Best Dance Crew, MTV aired the Top 10 performances of the first three seasons of ABDC. Or, what they think are the best performances. Everyone who watched must be in the same state of mood as I am right now. I will try to be as neutral as possible while writing this recap, but it will be obvious that this hour of television was possibly the most frustrating I ever experienced."
Click here to read the rest of this VERY entertaining post. Thanks Zatzz!
Mailbox: Massive Monkees Injury; Shane Twitters at SYTYCD; SQ on AGT; Strikers Tallie with Kristina Debarge
- MTV Remote Control reports that Massive Monkees member Bryson Angeles suffered a spider bite on his hand, shortly before starting practice for Episode 1. This could potentially limit his b-boy moves, so we hope this won't hurt the crew's performance at tonight's taping of America's Best Dance Crew 4.
- According to So You Think You Can Blog, Shane Sparks "texts incessantly through the taping" of So You Think You Can Dance.
- TheDartmouth.com talks to Dartmouth student Benja Wurzel, who auditioned with SQ Entertainment (Status Quo's new name) for America's Got Talent
- Striker member Tallie Brinson is a backup dancer for singer Kristina Debarge in this clip from FoxNY.
Monday, August 3, 2009
VOTING IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS WEEK. Come back next Monday to vote in the Week 2 elimination challenge.
- Click here for our post about the Season 4 audition, including videos of the audition and choreography callback
- Click here for our post about their Season 3 audition. IMO, It was totally different and equally good
- Here's the MTV.com Remote Control interview with Fr3sh and Massive Monkees
- Their performance at The Main Event.
- To read about and contact them, visit their MySpace page
- From the Fr3shDanceTroupeLLC Youtube Channel, here's the larger group performing at 2009 World of Dance NY
In the adult division, first place was won by R.A.F. Crew from France, who placed fifth in the preliminaries. Second place went to Mexico's Neutral Zone adults, and third place to Singapore's Joyce and the Boys who placed eleventh in the preliminaries. Many of the attendees were surprised at the shut out of defending champions Philippine Allstars, New Zealand's Sweet & Sour (who won the World Varsity Division in 2008) and all three US crews.
The only US medal was a first prize in the Junior Division to Lil Phunk Boyz, and member Kyle was able to perform after having an appendectomy earlier this week. Other Junior winners: Monsoon! (from Japan) won seond and Freshh (from Canada) won third.
In the Varsity Division, there was a tied score between first and second, so the judges invoked the rule that the crew with the highest Performance Score (as opposed to Skill Score) got the gold medal. New Zealand's Request won the gold, Canada's Irratik won silver, and Japan's Kana Boon! took third.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
The 16 crews in the finals represented U.S., Mexico, Australia, Germany, Canada, and Trinidad. The semi-final and final rounds were hard-fought and close in scores, according to a judge's announcement/explanation. I'll add a video of the final battle as soon as one becomes available.