Survey: What was your favorite dance for all of ABDC Season 8?
Survey: who do you think SHOULD have won ABDC8?
Saturday, August 7, 2010
- "Lately the troupe [Knucklehead Zoo] has been driven by the promise, so far denied, of an MTV reality show. "They were all just teasing us, like feeding cheese to a bunch of rats," Echeverria [Super Cr3w, Knucklehead Zoo] says.
- "Internet video "globalized" a community that once had to trade VHS tapes to see faraway competitions, Olague says.But a higher profile has demanded more structure -- and more theater -- of a proudly disorganized movement..."We've had to learn. The whole game has changed," says Ben Honrubia [Super Cr3w, Knucklehead Zoo]..."There are competitions where you can't even battle unless you have a good show."
- "What has changed is that B-boys made their way back to MTV, via "Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew." And the first season's winners, the masked Jabbawockeez, are the breakout surprise in a dismal year for shows on the Strip... It kind of goes to show dancing's starting to pull weight."
Watch Monsters in the Making episodes, featuring Beat Freak Teresa, Nappytabs and a lot of talented dancers
Friday, August 6, 2010
Can Hip Hop Dancers quit their day jobs, how much do ABDC winners earn, and other financial questions!
- "Earning a living through hip-hop dance is still a difficult leap at best — even for crews like Poreotics... The shades-donning showmen now charge $8,500 per gig — 17 times their old asking rate of $500 — and earn a full-time income from performances, merchandise sales and dance workshops.
- The market for professional hip-hop dance crews has evolved in recent years, with films like "Step Up 3D," reality television [America's Best Dance Crew], and amateur videos online fuelling demand
- "William Lett, a musical theatre instructor at California State University, Fullerton, said he doesn't consider hip-hop a realistic career option. 'It hasn't reached academic status yet like ballet or jazz or tap'."
- Poreotics members Dumbo and Can said "they might return to hair styling and graphic design in the future. But for now hip-hop trumps all else. "We're going to dance until our bodies can't do it anymore"
Thursday, August 5, 2010
This may not get to Twitter on time since there seems to be a tech problem right now, but if I can get this to you in time, please vote for Kid Bowser!
UPDATE: It was very close and the rankings switched during the show, but Rogue beat Kid Bowser 53-47% in the popular vote. We are still ridiculously proud of Kid Bowser -- both contestants were good, but we strongly feel you really won the battle.
Immediately after the battle, there will be two numbers for people to text their votes to, throughout the show. PLEASE tune in tomorrow, and watch my battle! And if you think I deserve it, please support me with your votes. This is the final stretch of the competition, and I need all of you at my back for this! Wish me luck!!"
Kid Bowser used his name Esosa in the on-line contest, so he probably will on the show too. And, I've included a Facebook picture for those of you who never looked at his comments pic. So, please vote for him!
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
At HHI World Dance Championships 2010, New Zealands' Sweet&Sour Crew treat the audience to an exhibition of their traditional Maori HAKA dance. The crowd went wild.......
After their picture perfect Semi Final performance, New Zealand's REQUEST crew obliges Mookie and the audience to another look at a "really sexy" move. REQUEST moved on to win the GOLD medal in the Adult division of the HHI World Dance Championships 2010.
Elektrolytes Crew (USA) huddle with MookieTheMC for a peptalk backstage right before competing
The LEGENDS of Hip Hop panel pose with event creator Howard Schwartz after an informative panel discussion. Featuring: Boogaloo Sam, ShoTyme, Toni Basil, Don Campbellok Campbell, Anna "Lollipop" Sanchez, Omar Paloma, Grandmaster Caz, FloMaster, and others
MOMZ-N-DA HOOD's Barb Adler, Lori Lee and Sue Estep have a little fun with Mookie The MC in the press row after he called his ever present bloggers "his favorite Momz that don't look like moms"
Video: Fly Girlz from Canada's Bronze Medal performance at Hip Hop International World Championships
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Please send all entries to ABDCContest@gmail.com. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS EVERY TIME SO I CAN TRACK AND SCORE YOUR ENTRIES PROPERLY!All entries for Week 4 must be received by midnight on August 8.
Monday, August 2, 2010
3. Bronze Medal winner: Lil' Hustlers (Ireland)
2. Silver Medal winner: Fresh 2.0 (Canada)
1. Gold Medal winner: Star Team (Japan)
3. Bronze Medal winner: Sorority (New Zealand)
2. Silver Medal winner: Illest-Vibe (Canada)
1. Gold Medal winner: Zero (Japan)
3. Bronze Medal winner: Fly Girlz (Canada)
2. Silver Medal winner: Poreotics (U.S.A.)
1. Gold Medal winner: REQUEST (New Zealand)