MTV CANCELLED AMERICA'S BEST DANCE CREW
Join Facebook's Hiphop Dance Events Group for info on upcoming events!
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Philippine Allstars had the highest score in the preliminaries for the second straight year -- 8.69. Though they were the last crew in an event lasting about 5 hours, the house was PACKED to watch their routine. Watch it below and judge for yourself! And, the next two teams scored nearly as high as PA -- Neutral Zone from Mexico was second with 8.61 and Sweet & Sour from New Zealand was third with 8.61.
All three US teams will move on to the World Finals. Poreotics came in 6th, SoReal Cru was 8th, and Kaba Modern was 12th.
- Click to see our coverage of their audition, including their choreography callback
- Watch more videos at DCRap.Com
- Visit their Myspace page and their Facebook page
- Read an interview with them in Amadi.com, where they talk about their dance style, backgrounds, battling experience, and aspirations.
Friday, July 31, 2009
To enter: Each week, we'll publish a new post for this contest. When the weekly post is up, leave a comment with the name of the bottom 2, specifying which one is eliminated. For example, last season a winning entry for Week 7 would have read: "BOTTOM 2 WEEK 7 - Quest, Fly Khicks. Eliminated: Fly Khicks." You will be awarded 1 point for each crew you name in the bottom 2 that week, and an extra point for identifying the eliminated crew, for a total of 3 possible points per week. The contest is now open for week one and will close Midnight Monday August 3 (before the first episode is taped). Yes, I know there isn't enough info yet -- this time it's just speculation based on interview videos. And, please write your vote only; no editorials or hating in the comments here!
In future weeks, entries will be accepted from Sunday (after the episode airs and I put up a new post for the contest) until Midnight (Pacific Time) the Wednesday afterwards, so that nobody can use insider info from the Thursday tapings. **IMPORTANT**:
- Make sure you include your email address in the email field of the comments (not in the comment itself); any answers without email address will not be used.
- MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE WORDS 'BOTTOM 2' in the comment (so I can search for them easily).
- Check out our post about them from the NY Auditions, complete with audition and choreography callback.
- Check out their website - massivemonkees.com
- Visit them on Myspace.
- There are almost too videos of them around to count. Here's the most viewed -- their Xbox ad:
>Here's their battle with Project Soul, from HyphyPinoyX1 Youtube Channel -. Watch starting 2:45. Thanks for the tip, Dickolas!
Photocredit: Domesdiggler Photobucket.
Kaba Modern’s Youtube channel [Channel Url:: http://www.youtube.com/user/
- July 31-August 2:Hip Hop International in Las Vegas, featuring Beat Freaks, Super Cr3w, SoReal Cru, Kaba Modern and many other crews from America's Best Dance Crew
- July 31: Knucklehead Zoo at Vegas Shakedown, to celebrate their 10th Anniversary
- August 1-2: United Styles in Boston, featuring b-boy competitions and lessons from the masters of b-boy style
- August 2: Quest at The Show in Burbank, CA
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Click here to watch the preview teasers for Seasons 2 and 3.
This was the culmination of several days of preliminaries, so that only the top scoring crews competed in 3 age groups: 13 adult crews, 12 varsity (older teen) crews, and 8 junior crews. While you can definitely see the skill and choreography progression between the age groups, all of the competitors impressed and entertained the packed audience. And, since the crews brought contingents from their home towns, the ballroom felt like a sports arena with hometown signs, rooting, and camaraderie.
The judges were split in two teams of four. The team evaluating skill included Sky Hoffman (an America's Best Dance Crew choreographer) and Beat Freaks' Teresa Espinosa. The team rating the overall performance included Fanny Pak's Matt Cady and ABDC audition judge Michelle McNulty.
Winners in the Juniors division were: RNG - a girl group from Mukilteo, WA; Lil Phunk Boyz from Boston, MA (who were down one crew member because he came down with appendicitis!), and Fierce but Cute - a girl group from San Francisco. Winners in the Varsity Division were: Funk Beyond Control - a San Francisco group from the same studio as Fierce but Cute; Breakthrough from Encinitas, CA, and Phyzikal graffi-T from Mukilteo (same studio as RNG). Once I return home, I'll post photos of the winning crews. Now, on to the International Competition!
- First Place - Poreotics
- Second Place - SoReal Cru
- Third Place - Kaba Modern
I will post videos of these dances next week when I return home to my editing software, and I will have longer posts about the Hip Hop International events over the next few days.
I've seen Rhythm City perform five times in the last 9 months (2 auditions, 3 competitions) and each time was amazing. Their choreographer Alonzo Williams keeps the routines fresh and original, but with a signature look that could do well on ABDC.
- Click here to see our post about their ABDC Season 4 audition, including videos of the audition and choreography callback performance
- Click here to see our post about their ABDC Season 3 audition
- Our post on Prelude EC, including video of their first place performance
- Video of their Third place performance at World of Dance NY
- Read more about them and contact them at their website, their Facebook page, and their Myspace page
- From the RhythmCity Youtube page, here's their recent competition reel for BET's Dance Jam contest:
Photocredit: Reuters News Service
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
First contest: Submit the names of the top 4 crews -- in the order that they'll finish. For example, last season the winning entry would have read " FINAL 4: 1. Quest 2. Beat Freaks 3. Fly Khicks 4. Strikers." Note: if you change your mind, you can enter again the next week, but we will only accept the FIRST entry from each email address each week. The prize goes to the first person to get it right, based on the week they submit the answer. If more than one person submits the right answer in that same week, we'll employ a tiebreaker rule to be determined.
To enter: Each week, we'll publish a new post for this contest. When the weekly post is up, add a comment with the names of the final 4, specifying the final order. Subsequent weeks' entries will be accepted from late Monday/early Tuesday4s (once I put up the new contest post) until 6pm ET the following Thursday (before the next show is taped). IMPORTANT:
- Make sure you include your email address in the email field of the comments (not in the comment itself); any answers without email address will not be used. This way, I'll be able to see the email address but it won't be published.
- MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE WORDS 'TOP 4' in the comment (so I can search for them easily)
Vogue Evolution also stands out because they are openly and proudly gay. Leyomi is one of the first transsexuals to be front and center on TV to showcase her talent (as opposed to just her 'novelty'). I hope people will respect Vogue Evolution by judging them on their dancing and entertainment value alone. I know that in the choreography callbacks, they won over everyone with their creativity and presence.
- Click here to read our post about their audition, including videos of the audition and callback
- Follow them on MySpaceand Twitter
- Check out the VogueEvolution Youtube Channel for earlier performances by some of the crew members
- From Deshaunevisu's Youtube channel, here's a video of their rehearsal for the ABDC audition
- From ithl123's Youtube channel, a compilation of Leyomi moves
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
- Click here to read our post about their audition ,watch their audition video, and read an interview
- Visit their Facebook page.
- LeGrande007 posts a video of Artistry in Motion in rehearsal. -
Photocredit: Leo Lam
- Two contests with prizes which will begin this week
- Backstage interviews at the tapings - This season, we're collaborating with Chris Trondsen and DanceTag on bringing you interviews with crews, ABDC personalities and more. Pharside (from Supreme Soul) has also agreed to conduct interviews for us! And, we'll continue our tradition of using reader questions.
- Weekly exclusive podcasts with the eliminated crews, also using reader questions
- Spoiler-free preview reports from fans who attend the tapings.
- Live blogging when the show airs
- A 'party room' where you can hang out, discuss the show during and after it airs, and air your views on ABDC
- Surveys on the best and worst performances of the week
- A summary of recaps and videos from other media
- Continuing coverage of news about the crews from Seasons 1, 2, and 3
Monday, July 27, 2009
- Beat Freaks - Freeze (36%)
- Fanny Pak - Get Ur Freak On (27%)
- JabbaWockeeZ - PY (30%)
- Kaba Modern - Audition (28%)
- Quest - Hip Hop Decathlon (41%). Note: OrQuestra close behind with 39%
- SoReal Cru - A Milli (32%)
- Super Cr3w - We Fly High (26%)
- Supreme Soul - Audition (17%). SS had both the highest cumulative vote (over 4 performances), and the highest single performance vote for a crew not yet listed
- Boxcuttuhz - Bonafied Lovin (16%)
- Boogie Bots - Game Over (15%)
- Strikers (25% cumulative) - Move if you Wanna (14%)
- Team Millennia (18% cumulative) - Me Against the Music (10%)
Sunday, July 26, 2009
At the same event, Teena "Trendy Khicks" performed with Anahi.