Saturday, September 5, 2009
- Rhythm City was voted the best for the second straight week (36%) followed by Massive Monkees (25%)
- Beat Ya Feet Kings was voted the worst performances (37%) followed by Vogue Evolution (25%)
"Hosted at the Cyclorama in Boston, United Styles 2009 brought together Bboy crews from all over the world. From the city itself to Seattle to Puerto Rico, to Poland, Nova Scotia and Australia, crews representing their hometown or country battled for two days for the World Bboy cup and $50,000. The weekend of August 2nd was particularly special as it was also the 28th annivesary of the Floorlords Crew. They, along with Karmaloop, were responsible for organizing the event, which had a great turnout, especially on Sunday when the top 16 of 42 crews would battle it out for the title and the 50 Gs.
Click here for the rest of Han's exciting report on the event and some incredible photos. Thanks Han! And here's video of highlights from The Squadron's battles.
Friday, September 4, 2009
- Beat Freaks' Keeley confronting Massive Monkees on earlier statements about Quest
- Vogue Evolution's Malachi shoutout to Quest's Aris after last week's interview
- A rambling talk with Beat Ya Feet Kings and our reporter Glenda (from Fanny Pak)
- A talk with We Are Heroes on making it this far in Season 4
- A discussion with Rhythm City on the difference between East Coast and West Coast dancing
"The taping this week was ok. Once again half of the bottom two surprised me and one half did not. This week reminded me of week 2 with the crews doing Good but not Amazing. Only one crew really stood out with me as amazing. Once again there's a crew that I think should NOT be going on in this competition because I really am sick of them. No names of course. But that's just my personal opinion. A twist was also added into this challenge which in my opinion was absolutely pointless and DEFINITELY gave one crew a MAJOR advantage over the others. But whatever. ALL I really need to say is VOTE. It doesn't matter how a good a crew is UNLESS YOU VOTE. Its either that or this show is rigged."
Thanks to Michael and Adobostreak for the tip on this video!
Thursday, September 3, 2009
And, we'd love to hear about what is said or done about the Lil Mama -Leiomy controversy -- that is NOT a spoiler for us!! BUT PLEASE NO SPOILERS ABOUT WHO WAS IN THE BOTTOM AND WHO WENT HOME!
"Why You Should Watch America's Best Dance Crew:
- The groups aren't just great dancers, they're great choreographers.
- Some of the tricks you see on the stage will make you question if gravity applies to everyone. Or if every person has the same number of bones.
- This is real, hard-hitting hip hop, no lyrical, half contemporary choreography in sight.
- No trio of dance judges are more fun or honest. They have no problem picking favorites, being brutally honest, or frustrating censors with foul mouths.
- Three words folks: tranny dance crew.
- You love ballroom, contemporary, or any style besides breaking, step, or hip-hop.
- Because you were always more of a Zack Morris type of girl. (Sorry, Slater)
- You like some illusion of objectivity from the judges.
Shane Sparkshas openly said he gets angry when a crew he wants to hate on doesn't mess up.
- Grown women with a penchant for dressing like infants freak you out.
- You hate that "rap music" and if it doesn't involve special shoes, you don't think it's a legitimate dance style."
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
"I would like to clarify anything that was misunderstood from Sunday's show. My remarks were never meant to be disrespectful regarding Leiomy's gender nor offensive to the LGBT community, which has been a community that has supported me in all my endeavors. However, in hindsight, I recognize that my words may have come across as hurtful. I spoke with her privately after the taping to express that it was not my intent to offend her or any member of the transgender community and that I still live for Vogue Evolution."
GLAAD's response, issued by Rashad Robinson, Senior Director of GLAAD's Media Programs: "While we thank Lil Mama for her apology, this incident demonstrates the need for more education around the lives and experiences of transgender people. Lil Mama’s comments during her critique attempted to impose standards of conformity for gender identity and expression -- a mistake that many people make. Transgender people, particularly transgender women of color, become targets of discrimination and violence when inaccuracies and acts of insult like this are advanced. Contrary to what was said on the program, as an openly transgender woman and dance contestant, Leiomy is living her truth... It was surprising that MTV, a network that has shown a strong commitment to fair and accurate inclusion of transgender and gay people, would choose to air a clip that includes such disrespectful comments.”
Here are Lil Mama's comments: "Leiomy, come on. Your behavior…it’s unacceptable. I just feel that you always have to remember your truth. You were born a man and you are becoming a woman. If you’re going to become a woman, act like a lady. Don’t be a bird, like ‘Oh my god, I’m not doing this!’ You know what I’m saying? It gets too crazy and it gets confusing. You’re doing this for America. Even though you’re the face for transgenders, you’re the face of America right now with this group and it’s not about anybody else. It’s about y’all. You know what I’m saying? So do it for the team. Do it for the team.”
Do you feel that these comments go beyond Lil Mama's usual critique? Before Vogue Evolution performed and Lil Mama made these comments, ABDC ran some footage showing Leiomy's unhappiness and thoughts about leaving the show to go home. Is the issue about Lil Mama's comments or is it about MTV's coverage of Leiomy's behavior during one week of ABDC?
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
- AFROBORIKE "Swag Surfin'" Fast Life Yungstaz
- MASSIVE MONKEES "Do the Ricky Bobby" B-Hamp
- RHYTHM CITY "You're A Jerk" New Boys
- VOGUE EVOLUTION "Halle Berry" Hurricane Chris
- WE ARE HEROES "Stanky Legg" GS Boys
At the end of the season, I'll post who won, and who else got the right combination (and in which week). So, even if your choice has already been taken, you can enter a new one now and get some bragging rights. And, there are still some combinations that haven't been picked. Click here for contest rules and prize.
Overall, tonight’s episode was the BEST of the season so far because Bollywood dancing calls for a great deal of energy and creativity. The majority of the crews had complete routines for the Bollywood challenge and incorporated their assigned dance styles into their performances. Although seeing We Are Heroes in the bottom was a surprise, I knew either Beat Ya Feet Kings or Afroborike would join them this week. I guess that ending move from WAH’s martial arts routine put them in the bottom. However, after finding out that Mami was injured because of that move, I feel bad for WAH being in the bottom two.
Click here to read her analysis of all the acts and prediction for next week. Thanks Jai!
- After the Bollywood Challenge, AC Slater sees no way that Rhythm City won't win the America's Best Dance Crew title this season
- LeKeith and Howard from We'll Fix it in found it 'shockingly competent', with their humorous snark-by-snark commentary that I've grown to love
- Spoil the Ending thinks Massive Monkees gave the best performance of the entire ABDC 4 season so far
- Too Interesting for Twitter Youtubed their recap:
Monday, August 31, 2009
Nobody got all three points last week, so as of now, the leader is still Diggy Digs with 6 points total. But there are 4 more weeks and 12 more possible points, so everybody still has a chance to win. So, post your votes now, and remember to include your email address in the appropriate field. Here's the rules. Voting closes midnight Wednesday September 2.
- You Love to Watch thought that Beat Ya Feet Kings should have stayed and found We are Heroes' performance sloppy with no innovation. UPDATE: I've learned that some of my readers have been trashing this recapper. Please knock it off -- everyone is entitled to their opinions without personal attacks.
- LA Times thought the Bollywood Challenge was a turnaround for ABDC and loved WAH. They show video interviews with Vogue Evolution, We are Heroes (who talk about what went wrong in the Martial Arts Challenge and the Super Cr3w-like money toss) and Beat Ya Feet Kings
This post is only for kind words about Beat Ya Feet Kings. If you've got complaints about them or other aspects of ABDC, please take it to the Critics Corner.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Then, please come back to our Critic's Corner/Party Room!
After the show is over: Give us your reactions. Jai Ho!
"Is one of the crews who are top contenders for being America's Best Dance Crew for Season 4 going to break up? Are they even going to finish the season? That was the biggest story for this week's episode of the show. You'll get a backstage look at the drama centering around one crew who had a member not finish a dress rehearsal and walk out on it saying that they "want to go home." And, you'll hear what the rest of the crew's members think about having one of their top performers not sure about finishing the season."
Click here to read the rest of Chris' preview, including some shocking info!
After the show, let us know what you thought --Did the right crew go home? Have you changed your opinions about some of the crews? Are you now ready to go rent some Bollywood movies? Amazement, befuddlement, and emotional outbursts are always welcome! At 9pm, I'll be doing live play-by-play for those of you on the West Coast or have other reasons you can't or won't watch at that time. And, early tomorrow morning, please vote in our polls on the best and worst performances of the evening. And, we'll have recaps, week 3 of our challenges, some backstage videos, etc. Join us!
- "I hang out with the crews, eat lunch with them, and I just go and talk to them. I really feel so protective of them, I feel like I'm the mamma bear of the show."
- Her role as mamma bear: "they also might not be prepared for when they Google themselves. Someone will say something that is whack and that hurts their feeling..what I try to do is toughen them up a little bit"
- How being backstage hasn't helped her dancing: "Tthe more I see the dancers the more it makes me never want to dance again. They are so amazing!..I would get invited to hang out with the crews after the finales; I would just stand in the corner. Yes, I was that girl that just nodded my head. "