Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ninjaboi's Pre-Season Analysis

Greetings ya’ll. It’s a new season of ABDC, and you know what that means. Blogging Best Dance Crew is in all systems go, and that means that Ninjaboi’s reviews are making a return. For those of you who don’t know me/what my reviews are, or you just want something to read while waiting for leaks from the first episode, keep on reading.

In case you couldn’t tell, I’m Ninjaboi, one of the moderators/admins here on BBDC. College student by day, I’m also a dancer. I won’t make any promises as to my skill level, but I have exposure to popping, breaking, locking, house, newstyle and krump, as well as traditional Filipino folk dance. I got my start dancing because I was encouraged by the community here on BBDC, so one of the ways I give back to the community is my reviews to encourage smart discussion of dance.

Whereas a lot of the reviews we see from the judges on ABDC are limited to only a couple of aspects of the routines, I try to give a more holistic, relatively objective review of each routine according to a rubric. It’s not perfect, but I still think it gives a good approximation on how each crew does each week. If you know of Bboy Dyzee’s OUR judging system, this is similar to that, in that each crew is judged in one of five different categories. To try and compensate for any biases I have for or against a certain crew, I add or subtract points to even out my biases.
UPDATE FROM NANCYT: There has been a lot of heated comment about of this post and about opinions of one commenter. I've modified the comments to reflect the original post of the person who disagreed, but deleted most of the subsequent debate, which was disrespectful and distracting from many sides.  From now on, please just focus on the dance here!!