Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kollaboration IX Field Report Part I: Kaba Modern, Team Millennia

Angela and Annie Kim (aka 'AK' sisters) covered Kollaboration IX this weekend, focusing on America's Best Dance Crew alums. Here's Part I of their amazing report:
"Let's play a game. Seven years ago, a 14-year old boy competed right before the infamous Youtube dancer David Elsewhere during the free-style Dance competition at Kollaboration, an annual talent show dedicated to promoting a strong Asia Pacific Islander presence by empowerment through entertainment. The performances drove the crowd wild with cheers, applause, and "I love you!s" as crews executed and delivered their routines flawlessly. Can you guess who this 14-year old boy could be?


Give up? That boy just happens to be (that's right!) Kaba Modern's very own Mike Song. Here's what he said, looking back on this first appearance at Kollaboration: "David Elsewhere came out after me. And then he ripped it," laughed Mike. "It was cool, because it kind of served as a really humbling experience. So it stayed with me in a good way. So now that's where my roots are so that's why I feel I owe a lot to Kollaboration, too." Here's the full interview: Click here for the rest of the Part I report, including an interview with Kaba Modern's Yuri Tag and videos of the Kaba and Team Millennia performances at Kollaboration IX. We'll post Part II of the report (featuring in-depth interviews and performance videos with Fanny Pak) very soon. Thanks Angela and Annie!