Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Readers: I need your opinions/advice regarding the site's commenting software

About a year ago, BloggingBestDanceCrew.com had to switch our commenting software from JS-Kit to Echo, at a cost of $10/year. While the change brought some good features (threading, the ability to 'like'), it also had major problems (breakdowns during peak times, blocking some of our most frequent users). To add major injury, they've announced that the rates for this site will increase to $10-25+/month (depending on site traffic).  My existing contract runs out in less than a week.


I really don't want to pay the extra amount -- it will severely reduce the money I have available for contests, costs for equipment and interviews, etc.  Here are my options -- let me know what you think.
  • Option 1 - go to another system like Disqus or Blogger. If I do that, everything before the change will be archived, so that readers will need to click on another link at the top of the page to get to older posts. This will also make searches on my site a two-step process -- a little more hassle for my readers. In some of these software alternatives, I would be unable to search and edit comments (as I do now) for obscenity/spoilers so that my only option would be to delete complete comments if there is ANY problem with a comment
  • Option 2 - keep Echo despite the costs and problems. I might set up a tip jar in case anyone wants to help me defray the costs.
What do you think? What's your experience with comments on this and other sites?