Saturday, December 12, 2009

Notes from ABDC New York auditions, Day One

I just returned from watching some of the New York auditions for America's Best Dance Crew Season 5. I'll have a lot more for you over the next few days, but here are some notes:
  • I was able to film about an hour's worth of auditions, including three crews that received callbacks.Tomorrow, I will be allowed to film 3 call-back auditions. I will share these with you in the next few weeks, along with audition footage that we got in Los Angeles. Just be patient!
  • Yes, L0st Kids IS auditioning in NY. FYI -- I will not be able to film them. You'll just have to wait.
  • I also got an interview with Executive Producer Karen Schwartz, who gave me some preview information about Season 5.

  • I don't know how many crews will audition in NY, but I felt sorry for them standing outside in the bitter cold waiting for their time in the practice room and audition. Among the crews I met or watched: E3, Tha Truth, XPose, Majestic Crew, Da Emperorz, Special Delivery, II an Extreme,Fynul Destination, Erafusion, Cosmic Swagga, Unstoppables, Saltare (shown above -- a crew composed of East Coast college students using a jump rope as a prop, who received a callback), Part Time Models, Smash, Lb 4 Pound, Next Level, Members Only, DV8, and Blueprint.
  • The callback challenge: as in other cities, the crews who got to the callback stage were given a CD with music. They have to create a dance for the first 35 seconds using a prop that they didn't use in their auditions. Then, each member must freestyle for 2 eight-counts, with commando changes
  • First day judges were Karen Schwartz and choreographer Chonique (pictured below). Callback judges will include JabbaWockeeZ Kevin Brewer, Lil Mama, and Shane Sparks