Wednesday, October 14, 2009

All about Beat Freaks - their start, inspirations, and demands!

Dancer Universe runs a story for all Beat Freak fans, documenting their start, early collaboration, decision to audition for America's Best Dance Crew Season 3, current activities and plans (including a book deal!). Thanks for the tip Ravoo! Highlights:
  • Nineteen-year-old [Shorty] Welch was the last to join the Beat Freaks, but it wasn’t easy breaking into the ranks. Even though she had worked with them on a few projects, they told her they weren’t currently accepting more members. Then, in November of last year she got a call. “They all called me on the phone at once. It was all of the Beat Freaks,” says Welch. “They were like, ‘We’re doing ABDC and…we need another person.’ They asked if I was down, and I was like, ‘Yeah!’ Then, I was so in shock that I just got quiet.”
  • About the Magic Challenge: “We were feeling the mid-show slump that week and started to lull. We got word that our dear friend Tiffany was back in treatment for cancer. We spoke to her on the phone and she was so strong and so positive. We decided she would be our inspiration to go hard. We always shouted her name. In fact, we did right before we performed live.”
  • Keeley: “I would say that the only downfall is when I want to work, I’m personally limited because I won't do choreography that is sexually provocative and that’s what most hip hop women are expected to do...If I think the job will require that, I won’t even audition."