Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mailbox: More on Diversity and their potential impact on TV + Diversity Merchandise!

- The Independent posts an interview with Ashley Banjo, leader and choreographer for Diversity, winner of Britain's Got Talent. Two favorite quotes from the article:
  • "Key to the 11-strong group's win was Danielle Banjo .. who trained at the Royal Academy of Dance. Her influence and that of his ex-boxer father Funso, who introduced him to opera and Wayne Sleep's television shows, meant Banjo and his younger brother Jordan were steeped in dance from an early age. "I was watching routines in my pram", he says.
  • British street dance choreographer Jr Timey said: "I'd say it's only a matter of time before there is something like America's Best Dance Crew in the UK"
- The Daily Mail's interview with Banjo mentions how he is also studying for his master's degree in physics and biology. According to Banjo, ''It seems to me the entertainment industry is cut-throat and if you don't have a plan B up your sleeve then you're likely to come a cropper...As far back as I can remember, my parents drummed into me the importance of doing well at school. I'm not going to be spinning on my head when I'm 50, but as a qualified scientist I can always earn a living."

- LA Times summarizes Diversity's win, wonders when America's Best Dance Crew will perform for Barack Obama, and posits that "America's Best Dance Crew" could easily become "World's Best Dance Crew" if MTV put their minds (and money) to it. It's probably an expensive venture to bring them out and put them up, but looking at events like the World Hip-Hop Dance Championship in Las Vegas, we know that the crews are out there."

- Just in time for Father's Day -- get your Diversity shirt! Thanks for the tip, Kashrich!