Sunday, October 19, 2008

Season 3 auditions in NY - First Impressions

Yesterday, I was able to attend the New York auditions for America's Best Dance Crew Season 3. Over the next few days, I'll post photos, videos, and some interviews from the day. Here are some first news and impressions.
  • There will be no casting special. Instead the casting directors will pick nine crews to compete in January 2008.
  • Picking only 9 crews is going to be EXTREMELY difficult. I saw about 8 crews (out of the 37 I watched) who could have competed in Seasons 1 or 2. And, Michelle (the casting director in NY) told me that there have been at least 5 strong contenders in each city they've visited so far.
  • I don't know about you, but the reason I watch American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance casting shows is to watch people with NO talent make fools of themselves. ABDC couldn't make a show like that from the NY auditions -- ALL the crews we saw were talented dancers
  • I also watch casting shows to see nasty judges tear into smug performers. ABDC casting didn't do that. The judges' comments were all either positive or constructive.
  • These crews were incredibly NICE. If there were ego problems, almost everyone kept them under control. That had to have been difficult given the frazzled nerves, the weather conditions (the crews waited outside in the cold for hours!), and the high stakes.
In an upcoming post, I'll give some tips for crews participating in future auditions (Los Angeles or Season 4).